Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, First Impressions

I'm currently about four or five hours into Reaper of Souls content.  To give some background, I love playing Diablo III but I"m nowhere close to a hardcore player.  I finished through the game once with a Barbarian previously.  Before that, I had played through Diablo and Diablo II perhaps three or four times each.
 
So I'm not going to be able to tell you how the changes in Reaper of Souls will modify the way a level 70 character farms but I can tell you how it effects someone who has a few hours after work to play an action RPG.  It is awesome.
 
The changes to the loot system are welcome and can be taken advantage of even without the Reaper of Souls expansion.  Basically, you get less loot but the items that do drop are more pertinent to your character.  While playing through the first act, my Crusader was able to use all of the yellows that dropped and almost all of the blues as well.  You still get lots of extra items to sell or salvage of course.

Loot.  A play about finding footwear that gives a +3 to strength.
 
The second biggest change I've had some stick time with is the new class.  The Crusader is a blast to play.  I like my Diablo characters simple and almost always play a tank of some sort.  The first act skills I've unlocked for the Crusader seem to allow for killing groups of mobs easily as well as targeting specific larger monsters when needed.
 
One of the more frustrating types of mob is the one that runs away.  Little creatures that skirt the edge of your range but can be killed with a single blow can feel like chasing mercury.  The Crusader has a number of skills that extend your character's range.  So wiping up the skirters becomes much easier.
 
I of course recommend the expansion for any Diablo III players but if you're new to Diablo III or if you've been sitting on the fence, now is the time to get into the game.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment